Skip to main content

NETFLIX: THE TYPICAL NIGERIAN EXPERIENCE




I always envied my friends in the United States and hated how they subtly but constantly reminded me of my stay in Nigeria. Every other week in group chats I got tortured by their narrations of television shows and movies (that are yet to hit the cinemas in Nigeria)
streamed on Netflix. The problem with Netflix at the time was its unavailability in Nigeria.


I remember this one time when Adeola literally transcribed an entire episode of ‘Orange Is the New Black,’ making me stare hopelessly at my phone screen. She texted as though I knew all its character and forcefully made me tag along. I had concluded it was a thing with Nigerians overseas and their pretentious attitude of not remembering where they had left America for; acting like everything gets automatically fixed in Nigeria as soon as they left the country. To make matters worse, she advised me to watch the next episode on Netflix and hoped that we could chit chat about it the following week, she, on an aloof note said, “It would be so much fun next week if we discussed.”  

Like a phantom, the thoughts of not having access to Netflix haunted me. I eerily saw meme inspired by the catch phrase ‘Netflix and chill’ everywhere: on Instagram pages, twitter hash tags and Facebook walls. For once I knew I was locked out of this world for geographical reasons and it kept me pondering why Africa’s most populous country didn’t have access; if they (at Netflix) had a map, they might have realized how profitable the Nigerian populace could be. Someone isn’t crunching those numbers just right and if friends were assets, I sure did have a lot of them. I arranged meetings with my programmer friends to help me create a mask for my IP address. They did sort out some issues but my internet only worked when they were around. It was a curse, looming only in their absence – I had given up on their half baked solution.

The New Year came with a lot, and with it was Netflix. With so much excitement, I rashly perused an article about Netflix’s launch in Nigeria. It entailed details on how to subscribe. Immediately I teleported to the Netflix website and registered on the platform then gained access to their rich collection of films and series. With so much to pick from, I decided to go with ‘orange is the new black.’ I craved to teach Adeola some serious transcribing lessons and exactly, who is boss. I was highly impressed; the visuals were impeccable: clear with crystal sound. I savored this moment, hoping it wouldn’t come to an end. Eventually it did and with a reality check too. I had spent over 75% of my data allocation on a single episode. I felt betrayed and uninformed. How could this be happening? But it was just one episode, just one.

Recovering from the shock, I decided to get my education on track. I read through the entire terms and conditions. The revelations after the recitation were rather underwhelming. I had just realized that I was on free trial period valid for just a month, thereafter I was expected to pay between a $7.99 – $11.99 monthly subscriptions; this caused my hand to reflex toward a nearby calculation. In a flash I remembered all the websites I always visited for free music and films, although, not of high definition quality, it did serve its purpose as I was entertained. In order to keep up with my American counterparts, I was self convinced that a mere eight dollar could not stop my fun, until the calculator conversion of dollar to naira came up. This ultimately meant spending 25% of my income on data and subscription fee. It was a lot to keep up with, but I needed it one way or the other. I needed a voice in group chats. I cannot be ousted by friends just because they think America makes them better than me. I had to prove my worth through Netflix, they have made it the in-thing and I don’t want out of our social circle.

Call what you may; I am yet to recover from this dreadful experience. I may never be on Netflix; I just don’t make the cut. Perhaps I could get my account back when the Naira – Dollar situation is fixed or when network providers become more humane in their tariff billing. I also hear there is a new network making preparation to unleash its awesomeness in Nigeria. Well until then I guess I would have to sit through Adeola’s torturous transcribing class.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HISTORY MAKING BEAUTY GAFFES

Beauty pageants are engineered in a fashion to tease the human brains, it comes with so much glory, drama and at other times sheer disappointment. Standard pageants like the Miss World and Miss Universe pageants are patterned to showcase various aspects of the entrant’s personality: ranging from physical feature,

Review: Kanye West's 'Ultralight Beam.'

‘Ultralight Beam’ is a song recorded by American rapper and fashion mogul Kanye West.   It features efforts from The Dream, Kelly Price, Chance The Rapper and Kirk Franklin. Charged with black power and choral performance, ‘Ultralight Beam’ stands bold and fearless, yet gentle to the touch with its message that takes on issues as suppression, hope, faith and resilience  that form the block of ‘Life Of Pablo’ album.    'Ultralight Beam' is a Gospel in its arrangement and instrumentation that seamlessly infuses jazz flavours accentuated through resounding horns.   What really sets the pace on ‘Ultralight Beam’ remains its subtlety in the way it gives room for each act to vocally express themselves. The track sets off on the zestful vocals of 4 years old Natalie Green, culled from a YouTube video that sees Green pray for her family shortly before they embark on a journey. The infusion of Green's vocals easily buys the emotions of the listener, first w

MTV BASE VJ SEARCH: AND THEN THEY WERE FOUR

All four finalists Going head-to-head in the last stage of the competition are 23-year old Tomiwa Olorunfemi, 21   year old Tochukwu Onwubiko,